Monday, December 12, 2011

At His Feet:
 
            The sun can have unusual effects upon landscapers, because we spend so much of our time exposed to it.   One such fall-out for me occurred in my mid-forties when, I had to have cataracts removed from both my eyes.   I’ll never forget the day I left the crowded surgeon’s office (filled with elderly people) each of us wearing those stupid nerdy glasses that looked worse than the kind they hand out in 3-D movies.   Yet, when my eyes adjusted, it was as if the whole world had been driven through a car wash.   The ordinary plants, trees, and flowers, I had worked with each day had become dull in comparison to the brilliant shimmering ones that now flashed before my new eyes.    

             I wonder if that might be how the immoral woman in Luke 7 might of felt, when she realized what Jesus had done for her.   The Pharisees, seated around the table, wanted Him to condemn her as a sinner.   Instead, Jesus used the humble act of the immoral woman anointing His feet with expense perfume, weeping, and then drying His feet with her hair as a lesson in true worship. 

            Perhaps, many of us, long time Christians, forget that we were not born into Christianity.   Yes, we might have been following Jesus for quite a while, but I wonder if our image and appreciation of Him has diminished or become cloudy.   It’s too easy for us veteran Christians become caught up in tedious practices of our faith and neglect the person of Christ himself.  He is our Savior and Redeemer!   We may not have been what the old folks once called “an especially wicked sinner,” yet just one of our careless sins would have been enough to send Jesus to the cross. 

            I challenge you to catch a glimpse of the huge debt of sin Christ purchased to restore fellowship for us with the Father.   Break out of the monotonous dry modes of personal worship you have used in the past and offer our Savior fresh extravagant worship that costs you something.  See Him for who and ALL that He is!  


No comments:

Post a Comment